- Drake called out a fan mid-set this week whom he spotted touching women inappropriately during his concert. The rapper pointed at the offender and stated into the microphone, “If you don’t stop touching girls, I’m gonna come out there and fuck you up.” [The Cut]
- The Zimbabwean military took over rule of the African nation this week, putting President Mugabe under house arrest. While the Army denies that the action constitutes a coup, analysts familiar with the situation disagree. [BBC]
- A report released by the FBI Monday shows that hate crimes rose by 5% across the United States in 2016. This is the second straight year of increases in these crimes, which are committed particularly against African-Americans, Jews and Muslims. [Al Jazeera]
- The Potato Research Institute in the Czech Republic recently bred a new variety of purple potato known as the Val Blue. The color is reported to be 30% more intense than that of its “mother” potato, the also-PRI-bred Valfi potato. [NPR]
- A new analysis of the Senate version of the GOP tax bill shows that lower-income Americans would see an increase in their taxes in 2021. The bill is being debated by the Senate Finance Committee ahead of a vote expected on Friday. [New York Times]
THANKSGIVING FACT OF THE WEEK: Only male turkeys (called toms) gobble. Female turkeys (hens) cackle. [CNN]
The Muffle Shuffle will take a break next week for the holiday; enjoy your turkey and/or tofurky!